Sifnos, Cyclades, Greece
SIFNOS the poets' island
Welcome to e-Sifnos.com, the greatest website of Cyclades about Sifnos!
Our goal is to provide you with the information required by the visitors of Sifnos, therefore we are in collaboration with the local institutions and associations, always providing the most accurate information regarding Sifnos island!
Snowy-white houses with traditional chimneys made of potter’s clay and small churches with blue domes, built on green hills, which lead to sandy beaches. This is Sifnos, the gem of Cyclades.
The capital of Sifnos is Apollonia since 1836, which is also called Stavri and which is sprawling out amphitheatrically along three hills in the center of Sifnos. At the west there is the port, Kamares. To the north of Apollonia there is Artemonas, a jewel of Sifnos with mansions of neoclassical style, with gardens and yards full of flowers, while to the east, Kastro (the ancient capital) will fascinate you with its architecture!
Other beautiful coastal summer resorts in Sifnos are Platis Gialos, Faros, Chrissopigi, Vathi, Kastro and Cheronissos.
Sifnos is the homeland of the great cook Nikos Tselemendes, and it has a delicious cuisine with traditional dishes! Sifnos island is not known only for its natural beauties, but also for its famous pottery art!
Hotels, rooms and apartments can be found at almost all the villages of Sifnos, as well as at many beaches. At this website, you can find information on all the rooms, hotels, apartments and resorts of Sifnos island.
More on Sifnos
- Sifnos has been famous since the ancient times for its fire-resisting ceramic utensils that have been manufactured by its potters ("tsikalades" in the Sifnian dialect).
- Nowadays, many young people are into pottery, keeping this centuries-old tradition alive.
- In almost every village of Sifnos, you will find shops where you can buy functional or decorative ceramic items.
- Feasts in Sifnos are a custom that is kept, no matter how many years go by.
- All churches have their feast. The access to some of the churches is easy, while to other is more difficult, since they are remote and there is always one of the numerous paths of Sifnos that leads to them.
- Most of the feasts in Sifnos include food – offered by the "panigiras" (=person responsible for the organization of the feast) - and traditional live music. The feast often lasts till the morning hours. Ask the locals to tell you if during your stay in Sifnos there is any feast and if so, go for it! The locals will welcome you and you will definitively have a great time.
- Paths in Sifnos create a unique network of many kilometers. Some of them are paved with rocks and others are dirt tracks. Some of them lead to picturesque bays and small beaches, some to remote churches, some pass through the verdurous NATURA 2000 area, while others connect the villages of Sifnos to one another. In any case, the landscape is magic and it is worth exploring.
- In 2015 the MUNICIPALITY OF SIFNOS, in cooperation with the organization "Paths of Greece", has implemented a project regarding the new, modern, complete sign-posting of 19 main paths of Sifnos. Click here for information